Tourism in SA recovering rapidly, says Hanekom
Cape Town – Tourism sector expects strong growth in 2016 after some strict new visa rules that reduced the number of arrivals in the previous year were lifted, the Minister of Tourism Derek Hanekom said on Tuesday.
South Africa last year relaxed some of the visa rules it introduced in October 2014, dropping a requirement for visitors to apply for visas in person at South African embassies, following a backlash from tour operators and tourists.
READ: Hanekom: SA paying heavy price for new visa rules
“In January, over one million tourists arrived in South Africa, 15% more than in January last year,” Hanekom told parliament.
“February brought an incredible 18% increase,” Hanekom said, adding that while the Chinese market was showing signs of recovery, obtaining visas in India still took too long.